Chickpea & Apricot Stew
This easy chickpea dish gets a hint of sweetness from dried apricots to complement its savoury flavour.
- Serving Size 1 cup (250 mL)
- Calories 262
- Fat 5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Carbohydrate 49 g
- Fibre 8 g
- Sugars 22 g
- Protein 10 g
- Sodium 560 mg
- Potassium 983 mg
- Folate 67 mcg
- Iron 5 mg
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained & rinsed (yields 2 cups/500 mL cooked chickpeas)
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) Mexican spiced stewed tomatoes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cumin
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) dried apricots, chopped
In a large pan, heat oil and saute onion 2 minutes.
Add chickpeas, garlic, tomatoes, oregano, salt, pepper, cumin and apricots. Stir together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes (until apricots are tender). Add up to 1/2 cup (125 mL) water as required if stew becomes too thick.
A great dish to serve with rice or warm naan!