Fennel & Sweet Potato Split Pea Salad
This delicious split pea salad is the perfect complement to roasted or barbecued meats.
- Serving Size 3/4 cup (175 mL)
- Calories 171
- Fat 5 g
- Saturated Fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrate 27 g
- Fibre 5 g
- Sugars 11 g
- Protein 6 g
- Sodium 48 mg
- Potassium 644 mg
- Folate 68 mcg
- Iron 2 mg
- Calcium 46 mg
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked green split peas (see tips)
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed, shaved into paper-thin slices
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) roasted sweet potatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) small onion, shaved into paper-thin slices
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chives, chopped in 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (20 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) sherry vinegar
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) honey
Combine cooked peas, fennel, sweet potatoes, onion, cilantro, parsley and chives.
Stir salad dressing ingredients together and toss over pea and fennel mixture.
- Rinse 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry peas with cool water, drain and transfer to a medium pot. Add 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)water, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally. Add more water as needed to keep peas covered. Drain and rinse under cold water before adding to salad.
- If you don’t have sherry vinegar, you can use red wine vinegar.