Marinara Sauce Plus
This versatile marinara sauce can be used as a spaghetti sauce, pizza topping or as a zucchini filling.
- Serving Size 1/2 cup (125 mL)
- Calories 150
- Fat 2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 1 mg
- Carbohydrates 26 g
- Fibre 5 g
- Sugar 6.5 g
- Protein 7 g
- Sodium 402 mg
- Potassium 439 mg
- Folate 110 mcg
- Iron 2 mg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry red split lentils, rinsed & drained
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) your favourite marinara/pasta sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked or canned chickpeas, finely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh or frozen spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp (3 mL) fresh basil, chopped (or 1/4 tsp/1 mL dried)
- 1/2 tsp (3 mL) fresh oregano, chopped (or 1/4 tsp/1 mL dried)
Combine red split lentils and water in a large saucepan, bring to a boil, then simmer until lentils are very soft, about 5 to 10 minutes. Drain. Place cooked lentils in a blender or food processor and add 1/4 cup (60 mL) warm water and blend/puree until mixture is smooth.
In large sauce pan, heat marinara sauce, add pureed lentils and finely chopped chickpeas. Heat until bubbling, reduce heat and simmer until very thick. Add spinach, basil and oregano and cook until heated through. Serve with your favourite pasta, use as a pizza sauce or on top of flatbread or as a stuffing for baked zucchini or squash! This sauce also freezes well.