Sausage, Lentil and Barley Soup
Italian sausages and green lentils pair with barley in this simple-to-make soup. Add bread, a green salad, and dessert to
complete the meal.
- Serving Size 1 2/3 cups (400 mL)
- Calories 171
- Fat 6 g
- Saturated Fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 23 mg
- Carbohydrate 17 g
- Fibre 4 g
- Sugars 3 g
- Protein 14 g
- Sodium 395 mg
- Potassium 204 mg
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 2 mild or hot Italian sausages
- 5 celery stalks, including leaves
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dry green lentils, rinsed & drained
- 2 cartons (32 oz/900 mL) low-sodium chicken broth (or 8 cups water)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
In a large saucepan over medium-high, heat oil. Squeeze sausages out of their casings into the saucepan and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink.
Chop the celery, including leaves, and add to sausage. Cook, stirring, for five minutes. Stir in barley, lentils, and broth or water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover pan, and simmer for 45 minutes or until barley and lentils are tender. Season with pepper to taste.