A high-fibre alternative for a stuffing side dish for roast chicken or turkey. Stuffing cups can be frozen and re-heated as needed.
- Calories 175
- Fat 2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates 34 g
- Fibre 4 g
- Protein 6 g
- Sodium 110 mg
- Potassium 210 mg
- Folate 90 mcg
- Iron 1.4 mg
- Calcium 35 mg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 7-grain rice medley
- 1 2/3 cups (400 mL) water
- 3 cups (750 mL) whole-grain dry bread cubes
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) canned mixed beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried parsley
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) raisins (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 stock celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) no-sodium-added chicken broth
- 1 tsp (5 mL) poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground pepper
Combine 7-grain medley and water and bring to boil over high heat. Stir, cover and simmer gently over medium-low heat for 25 minutes or until mixture is tender. Remove from heat and let stand, covered for 5 minutes or until water is absorbed.
Preheat oven to 180 (350°F). Grease a muffin pan with 12 medium or 6 large cups or a large 2 L casserole dish.
Place 7-grain medley in large bowl. Mix in bread cubes, mixed beans, parsley and raisins if using. Stir gently to mix well.
Place minced garlic cloves, celery and onion in small glass bowl. Spritz lightly with oil or sprinkle with small amount of oil or water. Place in microwave and microwave on high for 30-45 seconds or until tender.
Add to grain, bread and bean mixture. Incorporate well.
Whisk together egg, chicken broth and herbs. Add to dry mixture and stir until combined.
Divide mixture between muffin cups and press gently into cups or loosely in a large casserole dish. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes. Bake for 20 minutes.