Mixed Bean Stuffing Cups
A wonderful vegetarian dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner to serve along with your roast chicken or turkey!
- Serving Size 1 muffin cup
- Calories 89
- Fat 1 g
- Saturated Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 16 mg
- Carbohydrate 16 g
- Fibre 2 g
- Sugars 1 g
- Protein 4 g
- Sodium 147 mg
- Potassium 118 mg
- Folate 36 mcg
- Iron 1 mg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 7-grain rice medley
- 1 2/3 cups (400 mL) water
- 3 cups (750 mL) whole-grain dry bread cubes
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cooked or canned mixed beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) fresh parsley, chopped (or 2 tsp/10 mL dried)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) raisins (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) low vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tsp (5 mL) poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground pepper
Combine 7-grain rice medley and water and bring to boil over high heat. Stir, cover and simmer gently over medium-low heat for 25 minutes or until mixture is tender. Remove from heat and let stand, covered for 5 minutes or until water is absorbed.
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or a large 2 L casserole dish.
Place 7-grain medley in large bowl. Mix in bread cubes, mixed beans, parsley and raisins if using. Stir gently to mix well.
Place garlic, celery and onion in small microwaveable bowl. Spritz lightly with oil or sprinkle with small amount of oil or water. Microwave on high for 30-45 seconds or until tender. Alternatively, saute garlic, celery and onion in a small amount of oil over medium heat until soft.
Add vegetables to grain, bread and bean mixture and mix well.
Whisk together egg, chicken broth and herbs. Add to dry mixture and stir until combined.
Divide mixture between muffin cups and press gently into cups or loosely in a large casserole dish. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes. Bake for 20 minutes for muffin cups or 25-30 minutes if using a casserole dish.
- Poultry Seasoning is a commercially available seasoning mix whose ingredients typically include thyme, sage, marjoram, rosemary, black pepper, and nutmeg.
- These Mixed Bean Stuffing Cups ups can be frozen and re-heated as needed.