This sweet yet savoury salad is the perfect addition to any summer barbecue! This salad also works as an entrée at lunch or supper.
- Serving Size 1 cup (250 mL)
- Calories 135
- Fat 4 g
- Saturated Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 1 mg
- Carbohydrate 40 g
- Fibre 7 g
- Sugars 16 g
- Protein 10 g
- Sodium 105 mg
- Potassium 631 mg
- Folate 191 mcg
- Iron 3 mg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) orange juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) honey
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) maple syrup (see tips)
- 2 apples (McIntosh, Gala, Red Delicious) (see tips)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
- 7 cups (1.75 L) salad greens (endive, romaine, spinach, etc.)
- 1 cup (250 mL) quinoa, cooked & cooled (see tips)
- 2 cups (500 mL) strawberries, sliced
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) marinated & roasted chickpeas (see tips)
Mix together dressing ingredients and chill for several hours to allow flavours to develop.
Wash apples and chop. Coat with lemon juice.
Combine all ingredients in a large salad bowl. Toss together with dressing. Serve immediately.
- If you don’t have any maple syrup, increase the honey to 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) and add a few drops of maple extract if you wish.
- Wash and chop apples just before serving this salad or you can prepare ahead of time and toss the apples with 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice to prevent browning.
- You can also use cooked brown rice, barley, farro or couscous in place of the quinoa.
- Here’s the recipe for the Marinated & Roasted Chickpeas