Tried & True Minestrone
A delicious Italian soup that’s also nutritious, thanks to a hearty helping of chickpeas and beans.
- Serving Size 1 cup (250 mL)
- Calories 119
- Fat 2 g
- Saturated Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 20 g
- Fibre 4 g
- Sugar 2.5 g
- Protein 5 g
- Sodium 376 mg
- Potassium 372 mg
- Folate 69 mcg
- Iron 2 mg
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) tubetti or pasta of choice
- 4 Tbsp (60 mL) canola oil, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 19 fl oz (540 mL) can diced tomatoes
- 19 fl oz (540 mL) can white kidney beans, drained & rinsed (or 2 cups/500 mL cooked)
- 19 fl oz (540 mL) can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed (or 2 cups/500 mL cooked)
- 19 fl oz (540 mL) can chickpeas, drained & rinsed (or 2 cups/500 mL cooked)
- 1 cup (250 mL) green cabbage, shredded
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 8 cups (2 L) reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) pepper
Cook pasta according to directions on package. Cook until al dente, drain and toss with 1-2 Tbsp oil. Set aside.
In a large saucepan, heat remaining oil on high. Add garlic and sauté until golden. Lower heat to medium and add onion, celery and carrots. Cook until soft, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
Add thyme and bay leaf and raise heat to high. Add tomatoes, beans, chickpeas, cabbage and zucchini. Add stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, skimming foam from top.
Season well with pepper and remove bay leaf. Add cooked pasta and enjoy!