Daily Grain Network Status – Sept. 27, 2020 SEP 28 2020 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
September 27, 2020: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
· Loads on wheels finished out last week some 4% lower than the prior week averaging 11,300 cars per day reflecting primarily lower volumes on CN (-7%) while CP volumes remained steady.
· Loads on wheels increased notably last week Friday (September 25) pushing system total above the 12,000 car mark for the first time in a week. Despite declining slightly yesterday, system volumes remain above the 12,000 car mark for the third consecutive day.
Cars Not Moving
· The count of cars not moving increased yesterday for the 5th straight day having doubled in that time period from 900 cars to more than 1,900 cars. While both railways have increased, it is more notable on CN which has risen from 300 cars to more than 1,100.
· West coast unloads (1,186) improved slightly from the prior day, reflecting improved unloads at Vancouver while Prince Rupert unloads remain erratic from one day to the next.
All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.
* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA).
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com