Daily Grain Network Status – Sept. 30, 2020 OCT 1 2020 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
September 30, 2020: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
· Loads on wheels declined yesterday for the second consecutive day, albeit only marginally, remaining below the 12,000 car threshold. The slight decline seen yesterday reflects lower volumes for CN (-6%) and a slight uptick on CP.
· Four days into the current week, average daily volumes continue to track 9% higher than at this point last week, still averaging more than 11,900 cars per day.
Cars Not Moving
· The count of cars not moving on a system basis declined slightly yesterday for the third consecutive day reflecting lower counts for CN and marginally higher counts for CP. Early in the week average daily counts continue to track some 37% higher than at this point last week.
· West coast unloads (1,267) declined from the prior day, reflecting lower unloads at Vancouver and much improved unloads at Prince Rupert which exceeded the 200 car mark for only the fifth time in the last two weeks.
All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.
* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA).
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com