Daily Grain Network Status – Feb. 28, 2021 MAR 1 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
February 28, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
· Consistent with the trend seen throughout much of the week, system loads on wheels last week were 7% higher than the prior week averaging 12,300 cars per day.
· Loads on wheels increased yesterday returning above the 12,000 car mark for the 7th time in the last 8 days, reflecting higher volumes on CP.
Cars Not Moving
· The system count of idle cars declined notably last week at 2,200 cars per day on the heels of two consecutive weeks of 4,200+ cars per day.
· After declining to less than 1,800 cars mid last week, idle car counts have now increased in 4 of the last 5 days including yesterday with system counts returning above 3,000 cars.
· West coast unloads at nearly 1,150 cars per day last week saw their best week in the last five reflecting principally improved unloads at Vancouver.
· On the heels of three straight days at 1,100+ including more than 1,400 on Saturday unloads returned below 1,000 cars yesterday.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website