Daily Grain Network Status – March 14, 2021 MAR 15 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
March 14, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
· Loads on wheels increased slightly last week (+2%) averaging nearly 11,400 cars per day, consistent with the trend seen throughout the week.
· Loads on wheels increased yesterday for the third straight day returning above 11,800 cars reflecting higher volumes for CN offset by a slight decline for CP.
Cars Not Moving
· The counts of idle cars dwelling under load improved last week falling below an average of 1,900 cars per day, reflecting improvement by each of CN and CP.
· After declining late last week to less than 1,300 cars on a system basis, counts have now increased for two straight days returning above 2,100 cars for CN and CP combined.
· West coast unloads at 1,185 cars per day on average fell marginally as compared to the prior week reflecting slightly lower unloads for both west coast ports.
· Following two straight days of below standard unloads on Friday and Saturday, unloads rebounded yesterday (1,354) reflecting better unloads at both ports.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.