Daily Grain Network Status – June 14, 2021 JUN 15 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
June 14, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• Loads on wheels declined for the third straight day yesterday falling below the 8,000 car threshold for the first time in 10 days.
• Loads on wheels have declined 13% (-1,100 cars) in the last 72 hours reflecting declines for both railways but most prominently CN which accounted for 75% of the decline.
Cars Not Moving
• System counts of idle cars dropped sharply yesterday declining 43% (-729 cars) with system totals falling below 1,000 cars for only the second time in 30 days.
• Yesterday’s decline reflects lower counts for both railways with much of the improvement seen on CP where counts were cut nearly in half.
• West coast unloads (952) improved from the prior day reflecting improved unloads at both Vancouver and Prince Rupert.
• Reported unloads at Thunder Bay (267) improved yesterday but fell short of 300 cars for the 10th time in the last 11 days.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.