Daily Grain Network Status – August 8, 2021 AUG 9 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
August 8, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• Consistent with the trend seen throughout the week, loads on wheels declined significantly last week declining nearly 30% from the prior week averaging 5,700 cars per day.
• The downward trajectory continues as we begin Week 2 with loads on wheels having now fallen to slightly more than 5,000 cars – 27% lower than at this juncture last week.
Cars Not Moving
• System idle car counts improved last week for the fourth straight week, averaging 1,442 cars per day – an 18% improvement from the prior week.
• Counts increased slightly yesterday but remain below 1,500 cars on a system basis.
• West coast unloads at less than 600 cars per day last week declined for the first time in four weeks.
• Thunder Bay unloads also declined last week averaging only 165 unloads per day.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.