Daily Grain Network Status – September 9, 2021 SEP 10 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
September 9, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• System loads on wheels declined slightly yesterday reflecting lower volumes on CN but remain above 6,800 cars on line.
• With two days to go in week 6 loads on wheels, at more than 6,600 cars per day, are tracking well ahead of last week and headed for the best week in the last six.
Cars Not Moving
• System idle car counts changed little yesterday, nudging up slightly and climbing back above the 1,300 car threshold.
• While having declined somewhat throughout the week from the peak of 1,600 cars on Sunday, idle car counts continue to track some 40% higher than last week.
• West coast unloads (487) declined from the prior day, somewhat surprisingly given the number of cars available for unload at Vancouver and Prince Rupert yesterday.
• Thunder Bay unloads (215) held steady once again with more than 200 unloads for the fourth straight day and 8th time in the last 11 days.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.