Daily Grain Network Status – September 15, 2021 SEP 16 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
September 15, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• Loads on wheels declined significantly for the second straight day yesterday having now fallen below 8,200 cars on line.
• Yesterday’s decline reflects a significant decline for CP and a more nominal decline for CN. Loads on wheels have now declined 12% (1,100 cars) in the last 48 hours.
Cars Not Moving
• System idle car counts increased yesterday on the heels of two straight days of solid improvement in this area – counts now back above 1,200 cars.
• The increase is driven by CN which saw counts more than double yesterday.
• West coast unloads (1,101) saw their best day in the last 4 months surpassing 1,000 unloads for only the 8th time in 4 months and the first time in five weeks.
• Thunder Bay unloads (296) declined slightly from the prior day falling just shy of 300 reported unloads yesterday.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.