Daily Grain Network Status – September 19, 2021 SEP 20 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
September 19, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• Consistent with the trend seen throughout the week, average daily loads on wheels increased 22% to an average of nearly 8,700 cars per day last week.
• The upward trajectory continues to begin this week with more than 9,200 cars on line yesterday capping a four day run that saw counts jump by 1,000 cars per day.
Cars Not Moving
• System idle car counts recovered from the upward trajectory seen early last week averaging 1,100 cars per day last week – 20% better than the prior week.
• System counts took a steep turn upward yesterday to nearly 1,300 cars reflecting higher counts across the board.
• West coast unloads at 800 cars per day last week saw their best week in more than two months on the strength of improved unloads for both west coast ports.
• Thunder Bay unloads at more than 280 per day last week also registered their best week in the last couple of months.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.