Daily Grain Network Status – October 24, 2021 OCT 25 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
October 24, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• Despite declining steadily through much of last week, system loads on wheels finished out the week averaging 10,200 cars per day – a 10% improvement from the prior week.
• Volumes begin week 13 some 15% below last week’s levels with volumes having now declined in 6 of the last 7 days. We begin week 13 with 9,400 cars on line yesterday.
Cars Not Moving
• Driven by the huge spike at the beginning of last week, system idle car counts finished out the week averaging nearly 2,900 cars per day – 40% higher than the prior week.
• Week 13 begins with counts having increased again yesterday and now back above 2,500 cars.
• West coast unloads rebounded somewhat last week averaging nearly 800 cars per day reflecting improved unloads at both west coast ports.
• Thunder Bay unloads fell off somewhat last week averaging 260 cars per day – the lowest level of unloads seen in the last six weeks.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.