Daily Grain Network Status – November 8, 2021 NOV 9 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
November 8, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
- System loads on wheels declined for the second straight day falling below 8,400 cars and now tracking marginally behind last week at this juncture.
- Yesterday’s decline reflects lower volumes across the board with CP tracking 4% behind last week’s pace while CN holds steady.
Cars Not Moving
- System idle car counts saw little change yesterday with counts remaining just above 1,600 cars.
- Despite little movement so far this week, idle car counts are, early in week 15, tracking slightly better than last week at this juncture.
- West coast unloads (789) fell off slightly from the prior day with lower unloads reported at both west coast ports.
- Following few unloads on Sunday, Thunder Bay unloads (355) returned above the 300 car threshold for the 7th time in the last 8 days.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.