Asian Split Pea Salad
This easy Asian salad featuring yellow split peas is the perfect side dish for a potluck or barbeque or as a meal on its own!
- Serving Size 1/8 of recipe
- Calories 334
- Fat 17 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 23 mg
- Carbohydrate 29 g
- Fibre 3 g
- Sugars 5 g
- Protein 17 g
- Sodium 390 mg
- Potassium 490 mg
- Folate 70 mcg
- Iron 2 mg
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked yellow split peas (see tips)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) diced cooked chicken
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) cooked white rice
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) fresh bean sprouts
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) shredded carrot
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) sliced celery
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) diced sweet green pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) Asian sesame dressing (or less as desired)
- 1 cup (250 mL) chow mein noodles
In a bowl, combine peas, chicken, rice, sprouts, carrot, celery, onion and pepper.
Add dressing and toss lightly until evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours. Place salad in a serving bowl and top with chow mein noodles.
- Rinse 1 cup (250 mL) dry split peas with cool water, drain and transfer to a medium pot. Add 2 cups (500 mL)water, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking and boiling over. Add more water as needed to keep peas covered. Drain and rinse under cold water before adding to salad.