Chickpea (also known as garbanzo bean) production occurs predominantly in Zones 1 and 2 in Southern Alberta, where the growing season is longest.
Which chickpeas are grown in Alberta?
- Remove any shrivelled or broken chickpeas.
- Rinse chickpeas under cold running water.
- Soak your chickpeas. To soak overnight, use 3 cups (750 mL) of cold water for every 1 cup (250 mL) of chickpeas and let stand for 8–24 hours before draining. For a quick soak, use 3 cups (750 mL) of cold water for every 1 cup (250 mL) of chickpeas. Boil for 3 minutes and remove from heat. Cover and let stand for one hour, then drain soaking water and rinse chickpeas with cool water.
- Combine chickpeas and water.
- Bring to a boil. Simmer for 90 minutes to 2 hours.
- For every 1 cup (250 mL) of chickpeas, use 3 cups (750 mL) of water.
- Once cooked, chickpeas can be refrigerated in their liquid for up to a week. Just drain and add to salad, soups or sides for a quick protein punch.