Field peas are the most widely grown crop in Alberta, being produced in all zones including Southern Alberta, through Central Alberta and right up into the Peace River Region.
Which peas are grown in Alberta?
- Remove any shrivelled peas.
- Rinse split peas with water — no need to soak!
- Combine split peas and water. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 20–30 minutes.
- For every 1 cup (250 mL) of split peas, use 2 cups (500 mL) of water.
- Split peas get softer the longer they cook. Vary cooking time accordingly.