Green Split Pea Salad with Rice & Cranberries
This delicious meal-sized salad showcases green split peas along with rice, cranberries, and walnuts.
- Serving Size 1/2 cup (125 mL)
- Calories 161
- Fat 7 g
- Saturated Fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrate 21 g
- Fibre 2 g
- Sugars 5 g
- Protein 5 g
- Sodium 8 mg
- Potassium 186 mg
- Folate 32 mcg
- Iron 1 mg
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked brown rice (about 1/2 cup/125 mL dry)
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked green split peas (about 1/2 cup/125 mL dry)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped walnuts (optional)
- Romaine or leafy lettuce greens (optional)
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried tarragon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) honey (optional)
- pepper to taste
Cook rice and green split peas according to package directions, drain, and rinse.
Place the rice in a large bowl. Add split green peas, minced onion, cranberries and walnuts (optional).
Whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over the salad. Serve on a bed of lettuce as an option.
- Wild rice in place of the brown rice adds an unexpected twist to this salad!
- You can use sunflower or pumpkin seeds instead of walnuts. Toasting them really adds to the flavour of the salad!
- Fresh herbs work really well in this recipe. You can use 3/4 tsp (3 mL) chopped, fresh tarragon in place of the 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried tarragon.
- Not a fan of tarragon? Try adding 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh dill in place of the tarragon. You can try other chopped fresh herbs as well!