Alberta Beans & Bacon
These traditional baked beans taste great served over pumpernickel bread or as a side dish at a barbeque.
- Serving Size 3/4 cup (175 mL)
- Calories 255
- Fat 9 g
- Saturated Fat 3 g
- Cholesterol 8 mg
- Carbohydrates 33 g
- Fibre 10.5 g
- Sugar 3 g
- Protein 11 g
- Sodium 273 mg
- Potassium 793 mg
- Folate 240 mcg
- Iron 3 mg
- 2 cups (500 mL) Great Northern Beans, soaked overnight
- 6 cups (1.5 L) water
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 3 sprigs of fresh parsley
- 1/2 lb (227 g) sliced bacon
- 7.5 fl oz (213 mL) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground black pepper
Drain beans and discard soaking water.
In a large saucepan, combine beans, water, onion, parsley and bacon. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until beans are tender-firm.
Drain beans and onion. Discard parsley and remove bacon. Dice bacon and brown in a small skillet over medium heat. Add tomato sauce, salt and pepper to beans, return to low heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add bacon and simmer 5 minutes longer.
Serve hot with pumpernickel bread.