BBQ Chickpea Flatbread
This tasty flatbread can be served as an entrée or as an appetizer at your next gathering with friends and family!
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 540
- Fat 16 g
- Saturated Fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 19 mg
- Carbohydrate 79 g
- Fibre 9 g
- Sugars 24 g
- Protein 22 g
- Sodium 519 mg
- Potassium 609 mg
- Folate 227 mcg
- Iron 4 mg
- 1 package pre-made whole wheat pizza dough (makes 1 pizza)
- 1 cup (250 mL) your favourite low sodium BBQ sauce
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) no-salt-added chickpeas, drained & rinsed (yields 2 cups/500 mL cooked chickpeas)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh basil, roughly chopped
Pre-heat oven to 425°F (220°C).
Roll out dough to roughly an 8-inch x 10-inch (20 cm x 25 cm) rectangle. Place dough on parchment lined baking sheet.
Combine the chickpeas, onion and BBQ sauce in a bowl. Stir until chickpeas are coated. Spread the mixture evenly on the dough and top with shredded cheese.
Bake for 15 minutes, then top with chopped basil before serving.
- You can use ready-made flatbread or pizza crust instead of dough. Follow the baking instructions on the flatbread or pizza crust package as oven temperature and baking time may vary from the recipe.
- To make this on the BBQ, follow the heating directions on the package if you are using ready-made flatbread or pizza crust. If you made your own dough, after you flatten it out, cook one side of the dough first on high heat on a grill brushed with oil. When that side is golden brown, remove the flatbread and flip over onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and top with the BBQ chickpea mixture and cheese, lightly brush the grill with oil again then put the flatbread back on the grill to finish cooking the dough, heat the topping and melt the cheese.