BBQ Chickpea Flatbread
This tasty flatbread can be served as an entrée or as an appetizer at your next gathering with friends and family!
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 540
- Fat 16 g
- Saturated Fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 19 mg
- Carbohydrate 79 g
- Fibre 9 g
- Sugars 24 g
- Protein 22 g
- Sodium 519 mg
- Potassium 609 mg
- Folate 227 mcg
- Iron 4 mg
- 1 package pre-made whole wheat pizza dough (makes 1 pizza)
- 1 cup (250 mL) your favourite low sodium BBQ sauce
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) no-salt-added chickpeas, drained & rinsed (yields 2 cups/500 mL cooked chickpeas)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh basil, roughly chopped
Pre-heat oven to 425°F (220°C).
Roll out dough to roughly an 8-inch x 10-inch (20 cm x 25 cm) rectangle. Place dough on parchment lined baking sheet.
Combine the chickpeas, onion and BBQ sauce in a bowl. Stir until chickpeas are coated. Spread the mixture evenly on the dough and top with shredded cheese.
Bake for 15 minutes, then top with chopped basil before serving.
- You can use ready-made flatbread or pizza crust instead of dough. Follow the baking instructions on the flatbread or pizza crust package as oven temperature and baking time may vary from the recipe.