Bean & Maple Syrup Bars
A special dessert treat with a hidden ingredient – beans!
- Serving Size 1 bar
- Calories 273
- Fat 15 g
- Saturated Fat 6 g
- Cholesterol 47 mg
- Carbohydrate 33 g
- Fibre 2 g
- Sugars 21 g
- Protein 4 g
- Sodium 74 mg
- Potassium 158 mg
- Folate 53 mcg
- Iron 2 mg
- Calcium 41 mg
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, cut into pieces, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) cooked or canned white beans, drained & rinsed (see tips)
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) maple syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) melted butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped pecans
- 2 oz (60 g) semi-sweet chocolate
- 24 halved pecans
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
Base: In a food processor or mixing bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Add the butter pieces and pulse or cut in until crumbly. Transfer into a greased 9 x 13-inch (22 x 33 cm) pan and press evenly into the bottom. Set aside.
Filling: In a food processor or blender, purée beans and maple syrup. When smooth, add the eggs, sugar and butter and blend well.
Sprinkled chopped pecans evenly over base then pour filling over top. Bake for 30 minutes or until set in the middle and lightly browned. Cool to room temperature.
Optional Garnish: In a double boiler, melt chocolate over barely simmering water. Drizzle chocolate over bars in a criss-cross pattern. Refrigerate the bars until chocolate has set. Cut bars into triangles and garnish each one with a pecan half.
- White beans include Great Northern, navy, cannellini, white kidney or you can use Romano or pinto beans.