Black Bean Pico de Gallo Salsa
This easy-to-prepare salsa is gluten-free and vegetarian (and, of course, tasty!) Serve it with your favourite pita or tortilla chips.
- Serving Size 1/2 cup (125 mL)
- Calories 58
- Fat 0 g
- Saturated Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrate 11 g
- Fibre 4 g
- Sugars 2 g
- Protein 3 g
- Sodium 130 mg
- Potassium 299 mg
- Folate 41 mcg
- Iron 1 mg
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, drained & rinsed (yields 2 cups/500 mL cooked beans)
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded & diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) lime juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- salt to taste
Combine all ingredients in serving bowl and toss to mix.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Wear latex or rubber gloves when handling the jalapeno peppers as the oils and seeds in a jalapeno can irritate your skin. Make sure you avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth to prevent any irritation, and wash your hands with soap and water when you are done working with the pepper.
- If you want a spicier salsa, leave the seeds in the jalapeno. For less spice, remove the seeds.
- Not a fan of jalapeno peppers? Substitute with ½ cup (125 mL) chopped green, orange or yellow pepper instead of the jalapeno pepper.