Black Bean Pizza
A great vegetarian pizza that can be served as an appetizer or a main meal!
- Serving Size 1 slice
- Calories 206
- Fat 7 g
- Saturated Fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 9 mg
- Carbohydrate 25 g
- Fibre 4 g
- Sugars 2 g
- Protein 11 g
- Sodium 344 mg
- Potassium 322 mg
- Folate 160 mcg
- Iron 2 mg
- 1 (12 inch/30 cm) ready-made thin pizza crust
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) no salt added black beans, drained & rinsed (yields 1 1/4 cups/300 mL cooked beans)
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) your favourite salsa
- 1 tomato, diced
- 5 oz (142 g) frozen, chopped spinach, thawed, drained & squeezed dry (1/2 of a 10 oz/283 g package)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded reduce fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
Place pizza crust on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes or until crisp.
In a medium bowl, mash beans with a fork, then add onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder and hot sauce and stir to combine.
Spread bean mixture over crust, leaving a 1-inch (2.5 cm) border. Spoon salsa evenly over bean mixture then top with tomato and spinach. Sprinkle with cheeses and bake for 15 minutes until crust is lightly browned and cheese is melted.
Garnish with cilantro or parsley if desired and serve!
If you want a few black beans to sprinkle on top of the pizza with the tomato and spinach, only mash 1 cup of the black beans and save 1/4 cup for sprinkling!