Black Bean Protein Bowl
This vegetarian salad bowl packs a protein punch with tasty black beans!
- Serving Size 1 Bowl
- Calories 408
- Fat 18 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrate 53 g
- Fibre 12 g
- Sugars 12 g
- Protein 11 g
- Sodium 43 mg
- Potassium 656 mg
- Folate 136 mcg
- Iron 4 mg
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) no-salt-added black beans, drained & rinsed (yields 2 cups/500 mL cooked beans)
- 2 cups (500 mL) packed baby arugula or spinach
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) cooked pearl barley
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cups (60 mL) chopped dried cranberries
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh dill
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) lightly toasted sunflower seeds
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) honey
- 2 tsp (10 mL) whole grain mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground tumeric
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola or olive oil
- salt & ground pepper to taste
To prepare the dressing: whisk together the vinegar, honey, mustard and turmeric. Slowly drizzle in the oil whisking continuously. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Evenly divide salad ingredients between 4 medium sized bowls.
Pour an equal amount of dressing over each bowl. Server and enjoy!
- Other cooked grains like rice, quinoa, millet or faro can be used in place of the barley.
- To toast the sunflower seeds, shake them back and forth in a skillet over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Watch carefully as they can burn quite easily.