Carrot & Lentil Granola
Warm spices, lentils, oats, carrots and dried fruit elevate the flavour and texture of this granola! A delicious collaboration with @GetJoyfull dietitian Emily Mardell.
- Serving Size 1/2 cup (125 mL)
- Calories 137
- Fat 3 g
- Saturated Fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrate 23 g
- Fibre 3 g
- Sugars 12 g
- Protein 8 g
- Sodium 14 mg
- Potassium 34 mg
- Iron 1 mg
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked red split lentils (see tips)
- 1 cup (250 mL) oats
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated carrot
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) honey
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) raisins
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pumpkin seeds
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Combine cooked lentils with uncooked oats in a medium sized bowl.
Add carrot, sugar, honey, salt and spices and gently stir to combine.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread lentil/oat mixture evenly over the surface.
Bake for 15 minutes. Stir and bake for another 10 minutes. Mixture will be golden and slightly soft, but it will become crunchy as it cools.
Sprinkle raisins and pumpkin seeds over the cooled granola. Stir to combine. Store granola in an airtight container for up to one week.
For 1 cup (250 mL) cooked red split lentils:
- Rinse & drain 6 Tbsp (90 mL) dry red split lentils.
- Combine lentils and 1 1/4 cup (300 mL) water in a medium sized pot.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 5-7 minutes. Do not overcook or lentils will be mushy and break down.
- Drain any excess water and gently rinse cooked lentils.
Not a fan of raisins? Try another dried fruit like cranberries, blueberries, strawberries or bananas!
Try this granola with a bowl of Greek yogurt for a delicious breakfast or snack any time of day!
This sounds like a very good snack. Can’t wait to make it.