Prepare this chicken cassoulet in your slow cooker in the morning for a ready-to-eat meal at dinner time.
- Serving Size 1 cup (250 mL)
- Calories 244
- Fat 7 g
- Saturated Fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 54 mg
- Carbohydrate 25 g
- Fibre 6 g
- Sugars 6 g
- Protein 21 g
- Sodium 405 mg
- Potassium 824 mg
- Folate 127 mcg
- Iron 4 mg
- Calcium 89 mg
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry navy beans, soaked according to package directions
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (see tips)
- 1 Polish sausage, cooked (optional)
- 1 can (10 oz/284 mL) tomato juice
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) instant beef or chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried basil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) paprika
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped celery
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped onion
Boil soaked beans for 10-12 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Remove skin from chicken and set aside. If using sausage, halve it lengthwise and cut into bite-sized pieces.
In a medium bowl, combine beans, tomato juice, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon, basil, oregano and paprika.
In a 4 quart (3.78 L) slow cooker, combine carrots, celery, and onion. Arrange chicken and sausage over vegetables. Pour bean mixture over chicken and sausage.
Cover and cook on low heat for 10 to 12 hours or on high heat for 6 to 8 hours.
Serve with warm crusty buns and leafy salad!
You can use bone-in, skinless chicken thighs to save a step.