Crispy tender dippers loaded with lentils, veggies and cheese! Another great recipe from our collaboration with GetJoyfull dietitian Emily Mardell and from the Easy Peas-y Cookbook for Kids.
- Serving Size 1 dipper
- Calories 90
- Fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 23 mg
- Carbohydrate 6 g
- Fibre 1 g
- Sugars 1g
- Protein 7 g
- Sodium 96 mg
- Potassium 83 mg
- Iron 1 mg
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) dry red split lentils, rinsed & drained
- 2 1/4 cup (560 mL) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) finely grated carrot
- 1 lb (454 g) ground chicken
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) onion powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
Add dry, rinsed lentils to a medium stock pot with the water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook for 10 minutes until lentils are tender. Drain.
In a large bowl with a wooden spoon or clean hands, mix cooked lentils, carrots, chicken, cheese and spices until well combined.
Form mixture into 16 small balls and roll in breadcrumbs. Gently form into dippers.
Preheat skillet on medium heat and add oil.
Add dippers to pan. Cook 4-6 minutes per side until cooked through and golden brown.
Serve with your favourite dipping sauce!
Make a double batch and freeze half! Reheat dippers from frozen at 375°F (190°C) for 10 minutes.