This is our vegetarian riff on traditional “Shepherd’s Pie”. Green lentils are a hearty addition to the vegetable filling, with the classic potato topping!
- Serving Size 1/6 recipe
- Calories 377
- Fat 10 g
- Saturated Fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrate 57 g
- Fibre 16 g
- Sugars 11 g
- Protein 17 g
- Sodium 393 mg
- Potassium 1312 mg
- Iron 7 mg
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 leek (white only) or onion, sliced
- 2 medium sized carrots, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 red, green or yellow pepper, seeded & diced
- 6-8 brown mushrooms, chopped into quarters
- 1 cup (250 mL) green peas, frozen or fresh
- 2 cans (19 oz/540 mL) green lentils, drained & rinsed (yields 4 cups/1 L cooked lentils)
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) tomato sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried basil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried thyme
- 3 large potatoes, peeled & thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) melted butter or canola oil
- grated Parmesan cheese, if desired
- fresh ground pepper to taste, if desired
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
In a large, oven proof skillet, over medium, heat oil. Add garlic, leek, carrots, zucchini, pepper and mushrooms and sauté just until softened and fragrant. Stir in peas, lentils, tomato sauce and herbs.
Top lentil/vegetable mixture with layered sliced potatoes, then brush generously with melted butter or canola oil. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper, if desired.
Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until the potato topping is golden brown and lentil/vegetable mixture is bubbly.
The key to not having a mushy pie is all the veggies are cut approximately the same size.
Interchange the veggies with whatever you have on hand! This is a wonderful recipe for using up those random veggies before the next grocery shop. Turnip, cabbage, sweet potato, green beans, etc. all work well.
Instead of sliced potatoes, you can top with Cheesy Mashed Potatoes – you’ll need: 3 large potatoes, ¼ cup (60 mL) milk or vegetable broth, ¾ cup (175 mL) grated cheddar cheese or other medium strong cheese. While the veggies are sautéing, bring a large pot of water and the potatoes to a boil over high heat and cook until potatoes are soft. Drain and mash with the milk or broth until smooth. Stir in ½ the cheese. Top the lentil/vegetable mixture with the cheesy mashed potatoes to cover and sprinkle with remaining cheese and grated parmesan if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes until potatoes are golden brown, cheese is melted, and lentil/vegetable mixture is bubbly.