Green Split Pea & Cauliflower Soup
This soup freezes well for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size 2 cups (500 mL)
- Calories 247
- Fat 11 g
- Saturated Fat 3 g
- Carbohydrates 26 g
- Fibre 4 g
- Sugar 6 g
- Protein 14 g
- Sodium 646 mg
- Potassium 833 mg
- Folate 145 mcg
- Iron 3 mg
- Calcium 137 mg
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil, cold pressed if available
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 cups (1 L) chopped fresh or frozen cauliflower
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried green split peas, drained & rinsed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable or chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) crumbled Old Cheddar cheese
In a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven heat canola oil over medium temperature. Add garlic and onion, sauté until caramelized and fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
Stir in cauliflower, dried split peas, thyme and broth. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until peas are tender, may require another 5-10 minutes.
Remove from heat and carefully ladle into a blender or use a hand blender in the pot, to whir mixture to a chunky texture.
Return to saucepan, if necessary, and heat to a simmer. Season to taste.
Serve with crumbled cheese and a drizzle of cold pressed canola oil if desired.