Green Split Pea Pesto Dip
Great with fresh veggies & pita chips, on top of flatbreads, in wraps or sandwiches!
- Serving Size 1/4 cup (60 mL)
- Calories 177
- Fat 10 g
- Saturated Fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 3 mg
- Carbohydrate 16 g
- Fibre 2 g
- Sugars 2 g
- Protein 8 g
- Sodium 69 mg
- Potassium 285 mg
- Folate 74 mcg
- Iron 2 mg
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry green split peas
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tahini
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) grated parmesan or asiago cheese
- 3-4 Tbsp (45-60 mL) lemon juice & zest
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) canola or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- small bunch of fresh basil leaves (about 2 cups/500 mL lightly packed)
- salt & pepper to taste
- warm water as needed to thin out
Rinse dry peas with cool water, drain and transfer to a medium pot. Add water, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until very tender, stirring occasionally. Add more water as needed to keep peas covered. Drain and set aside.
Combine all ingredients together in a food processor and blend until smooth, season to taste with salt and black pepper. If the dip is too thick, add warm water 1 Tbsp (15 mL) at a time to reach your desired consistency.
- The sharper the cheese, the less you may need in the recipe. Taste the cheese and decide how much you would like to include.