This easy, tasty salsa gets an added protein boost from heart-healthy lentils.
- Serving Size 1/4 cup (60 mL)
- Calories 32
- Fat 0 g
- Saturated Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrate 6 g
- Fibre 1 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 2 g
- Sodium 82 mg
- Potassium 145 mg
- Folate 39 mcg
- Iron 1 mg
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped onion
- 1 whole jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked green lentils
- 2 Tbsp (25 mL) finely chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, lentils, cilantro, vinegar, lime juice, garlic and salt. Mix well.
Serve right away or cover and chill in fridge for two hours before serving. Serve at room temperature with crackers or tortilla chips.
- For a less spicy salsa, use ¼ – ½ cup (60 – 125 mL) chopped green, orange or yellow pepper instead of the jalapeno pepper.
- You can use regular vinegar if you don’t have red wine vinegar.
- Wear latex or rubber gloves when handling the jalapeno peppers as the oils and seeds in a jalapeno can irritate your skin. Make sure you avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth to prevent any irritation, and wash your hands with soap and water when you are done working with the pepper.
- If you want a spicier salsa, leave the seeds in the jalapeno. For less spice, remove the seeds.