Pasta e Fagioli
A classic Mediterranean supper inspired by whatever vegetables are on hand, plus the protein complement of pasta and beans!
- Serving Size 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
- Calories 560
- Fat 26 g Fat
- Saturated Fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 3 mg
- Carbohydrate 67 g
- Fibre 8 g
- Sugars 5 g
- Protein 17 g
- Sodium 413 mg
- Potassium 760 mg
- Folate 353 mcg
- Iron 5 mg
- 1/2 lb (250 g) long noodle pasta (linguine, spaghetti, tagliatelle)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 1 yellow or orange pepper, sliced
- 1 small or medium zucchini, sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sliced sundried tomatoes in oil, softened
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pitted black olives, halved
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) no salt added Great Northern or Cannellini beans, drained & rinsed (yields 1 1/4 cups/300 mL cooked beans)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) prepared basil pesto
- grated Parmesan cheese, to taste
- fresh chopped parsley, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
In a large pot, bring 8 cups (2 L) water to boil, add pasta and salt, and cook according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup (250 mL) pasta water when draining.
In a deep saucepan, gently heat olive oil over medium. Add shallots and pepper and stir fry for about 2 minutes. Add zucchini and cook an additional minute. Stir in sundried tomatoes and olives.
Drain cooked pasta, reserving 1 cup (250 mL) pasta water. Add pasta and beans to the vegetables and toss with the pesto, adding a little pasta water to keep mixture slightly “saucy”.
Portion into 4 individual shallow bowls and top with Parmesan, parsley and pepper.