Rainbow Salad in a Jar
This refreshing salad has lots of satisfying protein to take you through the afternoon.
- Serving Size 16 oz (500 mL) jar
- Calories 431
- Fat 15 g
- Saturated Fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrate 60 g
- Fibre 7 g
- Sugars 23 g
- Protein 17 g
- Sodium 201 mg
- Potassium 938 mg
- Folate 239 mcg
- Iron 4 mg
- 1 cup (500 mL) dry yellow split peas, rinsed (yields 2 cups/500 mL cooked peas)
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) lentils, drained & rinsed (yields 1 1/4 cups/300 mL cooked lentils)
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced green or red seedless grapes
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated carrot
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated purple cabbage
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced sweet yellow or red pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil, cold pressed if available
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) liquid honey
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1-2 green onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup (60 mL) grated or crumbled cheese (Blue, Cheddar, Gouda, or Edam)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pecan pieces, toasted, optional
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dried cranberries, optional
In a covered saucepan, simmer split peas in 2 cups (500 mL) water, stirring occasionally until moisture is absorbed and peas are tender, but not mushy, about 25 minutes. Rinse and cool.
Meanwhile, whisk together dressing.
Evenly divide salad ingredients and layer in each of the four jars. Top with green onion and sprinkle pecans and cranberries, if desired. Pour an equal amount of dressing over each jar, seal and refrigerate until ready to go. Add the cheese when you eat the salad.
- Double the amount of cooked split peas and freeze in an airtight container for up to 6 months for the future.
- Diced apple can be used in place of the grapes.
Made this this afternoon and enjoyed it for supper.
A bit of work getting everything ready but totally worth it. Dressing was spectacular and topped it with blue cheese. A “stick to your ribs” ultra healthy salad. Lentils and chickpeas do not stand out in the flavour but rather blend in. Husband says yes, make it again! Win.