Lentils add fibre and protein to these tasty bars!
- Serving Size 1 bar
- Calories 218
- Fat 10 g
- Saturated Fat 6 g
- Cholesterol 31 mg
- Carbohydrate 31 g
- Fibre 3 g
- Sugars 17 g
- Protein 4 g
- Sodium 131 mg
- Potassium 186 mg
- Folate 35 mcg
- Iron 1 mg
- 1 1/3 cup (325 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) reduced fat margarine
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) raspberry jam (or more as desired)
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked or canned lentils, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) hot water
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cups (175 mL) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped pecans (optional)
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
Base: In a medium bowl, combine the base dry ingredients and cut in margarine until coarse crumbs form. Stir in egg and mix thoroughly.
Press base dough into a 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) baking dish and bake for 10 minutes until firm.
Cool and spread a thin layer of jam over base.
Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C).
Filling: Purée lentils in a blender or food processor with the water until the mixture is very smooth and the consistency of canned pumpkin. If needed, add more water 1 Tbsp (15 mL) at a time to reach proper consistency.
In separate bowl, combine brown sugar, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt for lentil filling. Mix in lentil purée, vanilla and eggs. Add coconut and pecans if desired. Spread mixture on top of jam.
Bake until firm, about 35 minutes.
Cool and cut into 18 bars.