Red Lentil Bolognese Sauce
Our Basic Bolognese (meat sauce) is thickened and deliciously, nutritiously enhanced with the addition of red split lentils.
- Serving Size 1 cup (250 mL)
- Calories 225
- Fat 10 g
- Saturated Fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 45 mg
- Carbohydrate 13 g
- Fibre 3 g
- Sugars 4 g
- Protein 20 g
- Sodium 365 mg
- Potassium 569 mg
- Folate 65 mcg
- Iron 3 mg
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 lbs (750 g) lean ground beef, pork or a mixture of each
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry red split lentils
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) plum tomatoes
- 2 cups (500 mL) vegetable or beef broth
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried Italian mixed herbs
- Dash red pepper flakes, if desired
- Fresh parsley chopped, to garnish if desired
- Grated Parmesan cheese, to garnish if desired
In a large skillet or heavy Dutch oven, add oil, onion and garlic and cook over medium heat, stirring often, just until softened and fragrant.
Increase heat to medium high, add ground meat and cook, breaking up into smaller pieces until browned, about 10 minutes.
Add celery, carrots, red lentils, tomatoes, broth and herbs and stir well. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, cook desired pasta allowing for appropriate timing and according to pasta directions.
- Adjust herb seasonings to taste during cooking time.
- Make ahead and reheat the next day or freeze up to 3 months.