Southwest Black Bean Flatbread
This recipe couldn’t be any easier to make! Only six ingredients and you have a delicious and protein packed appetizer, snack or meal in just a few minutes!
- Serving Size 1 flatbread (1/4 of recipe)
- Calories 546
- Fat 24 g
- Saturated Fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 51 mg
- Carbohydrate 49 g
- Fibre 18 g
- Sugars 8 g
- Protein 37 g
- Sodium 1187 mg
- Potassium 592 mg
- Iron 2 mg
- 4 - 8-inch (20 cm) flatbreads (see tips)
- 1 cup (250 mL) thick salsa, heat level as desired
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, drained & rinsed (yields 2 cups/500 mL cooked beans)
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2-3 fresh tomatillos, or 1 small tomato
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced red onion
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
Spread salsa evenly over flatbreads. Divide beans, cheese, tomatillo and red onion evenly over top.
Bake for 10 minutes until cheese is melted and edges are browned.
Cut into 2 – 4 pieces/flatbread to serve. Can be served warm or at room temperature.
Flatbreads can be thick pitas, naan, or small prepared pizza crusts. Keep frozen and ready to “dress up” for snacking, meals and sharing.