Tex-Mex Bean Bites
This vegetarian snack is easy to make and even easier to eat! Everyone will be asking for more!
- Serving Size 1 regular bite
- Calories 94
- Fat 2 g
- Saturated Fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 3 mg
- Carbohydrate 14 g
- Fibre 2 g
- Protein 4 g
- Sodium 258 mg
- Potassium 87 mg
- Folate 51 mcg
- Iron 1 mg
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) red kidney, black or pinto beans, drained & rinsed (yields 2 cups/500 mL cooked beans)
- 1 cup (250 mL) chunky salsa
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) chili powder (optional)
- 1 cup (250 mL) low fat cheddar or mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh cilantro, chopped
- sour cream or plain yogurt (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Using a 4-inch (10 cm) cookie cutter, cut 4 rounds out of each flour tortilla. Alternatively, use a 3-inch (7.5 cm) cookie cutter to make 7 rounds for mini muffin cups.
Press the tortilla rounds into muffin cups. If the tortillas are not soft enough, carefully microwave the rounds for 15 seconds or lightly brush one side with water.
Bake the cups for 12-15 minutes, until lightly golden and crisp (these can be made several days ahead and stored in an airtight container).
For regular muffin pans, spoon 1 ½ – 2 Tbsp (20-30 mL) filling into the tortilla cups and ½ – 1 Tbsp (7-15 mL) into mini cups.
Place the cups on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt if desired.
- You can substitute the fresh cilantro with 2 tsp (20 mL) dry coriander.
- Not a fan of fresh cilantro? You can use fresh parsley instead or substitute with 2 tsp (20 mL) dry parsley!