Supply Chain Resiliency Watch – August 11, 2020 AUG 11 2020 | Producers | Blog Post
(Daily updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A daily report has been created to provide stakeholders with insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system as it attempts to remain resilient during the COVID-19 pandemic and continues recovering from a series of physical network disruptions in the months of January and February 2020.
August 11, 2020: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
· System traffic volumes declined last week to their lowest level in nine weeks – this is consistent with declining shipper demand in recent weeks as the grain year turns over.
· System volumes increased marginally yesterday for the second straight day reflecting lower volumes on CN and higher volumes on CP.
· Shipper demand for railcar capacity has declined 20% in week 2 (this week) with total shipper orders for CN and CP combined falling below 6,600 cars – the lowest level seen since the beginning of the last crop year (August 2019).
Loads Not Moving
· The count of idle cars improved yesterday on a system basis reflecting notable improvement on CN while CP counts increased.
· West coast port unloads (794) saw the lowest single day total in five weeks, reflecting below average unloads at both west coast ports.
· West coast vessel counts continue to hover around 30-35 vessels per day, a consistent range over the last few months.
· Vessel counts increased overnight reflecting an increase at Vancouver (+1) and no change at Prince Rupert – now at 29.
· Three vessels are now scheduled to arrive at Prince Rupert and 16 vessels currently scheduled for arrival at Vancouver over the next two weeks.
All daily resiliency reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.
*The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA).
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com.