Lentil production also occurs predominantly in Southern Alberta in Zones 1 and 2, along with a small strip along the eastern border.
Which lentils are grown in Alberta?
- Remove any shrivelled lentils.
- Rinse lentils with water — no need to soak!
- Combine lentils and water. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 5–20 minutes until tender.
- For every 1 cup (250 mL) of lentils, use 3 cups (750 mL) of water.
- Different lentils require different cooking times. Softer red/split lentils require shorter cooking times and are great for soups. Firmer lentils (green or black lentils, for example) take a bit longer to cook and are ideal for salads.