Daily Grain Network Status – Nov. 3, 2020 NOV 4 2020 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
November 3, 2020: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
· Loads on wheels declined yesterday for the second straight day falling below the 12,000 car threshold for the first time in four days. While the decline seen in recent days reflects reduced volumes for both railways, CN is the principal driver with loads on wheels declining by nearly 1,000 cars during this time period.
· Thus far this week, system volumes are averaging 12,300 cars per day, exactly where they were last week at this time.
Cars Not Moving
· The system count of cars not moving declined for the third straight day reflecting improvement for both railways. Over the course of the last week, counts have declined from more than 2,700 cars to fewer than 1,900 cars driven primarily by improved performance for CN.
· West coast unloads (1,134) declined from the prior day reflecting lower unloads at both west coast ports. Thunder Bay unloads remain robust at 498 cars yesterday.
All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website
* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA).
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com