Daily Grain Network Status – March 23, 2021 MAR 24 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
March 23, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
· Loads on wheels declined nearly 10% yesterday on a system basis declining to 10,000 cars on line and continue to lag last week’s pace by 9% (-1,000 cars).
· Yesterday’s decline is driven by a near 1,000 car decline on CP with little change on CN.
Cars Not Moving
· The system count of idle cars declined again yesterday falling below 1,300 cars – the 2nd lowest one day total in the last three months.
· Yesterday’s decline reflects lower counts across the board.
· West coast unloads (1,356) improved nearly 60% from the prior day driven by much improved unloads at Vancouver.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.