Daily Grain Network Status – May 16, 2021 MAY 17 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
May 16, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
· Consistent with the trend seen through much of last week, system loads on wheels declined 15% last week averaging fewer than 8,700 cars per day.
· The downward trajectory continues at the outset of week 42 with fewer than 8,300 cars on line yesterday.
Cars Not Moving
· Average daily counts of idle cars improved notably for both CN and CP last week falling to an average of 1,300 cars per day – 40% lower than the prior week.
· After falling below 1,000 cars on a system basis on Saturday idle car counts have increased for two consecutive days returning above 1,400 cars.
· At fewer than 1,000 cars per day last week, west coast unloads fell to their lowest level in the last 8 weeks reflecting a general decline at both west coast ports.
· Thunder Bay unloads, averaging 305 cars per day last week, have now averaged more than 300 cars per day in 3 of the last 4 weeks.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.