Daily Grain Network Status – May 19, 2021 MAY 20 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
May 19, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
· Loads on wheels continued their downward march yesterday falling 11% on a system basis and falling below 6,600 cars on line.
·Heading into the back half of week 42, average daily loads on wheels are tracking 15% lower than at this point last week reflecting declines for both railways.
Cars Not Moving
· System counts of idle cars improved notably yesterday falling once again below 1,200 cars for the two railways combined.
· Yesterday’s improvement while reflecting lower counts for both railways was fueled primarily by a notable decline on CP.
· West coast unloads (784) changed little from the prior day with Vancouver unloads up marginally and no unloads for Prince Rupert for the 3rd straight day.
· Thunder Bay unloads (417) doubled yesterday from the day prior continuing the up and down daily volatility we have seen in unloads in recent days.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.