Daily Grain Network Status – May 5, 2021 MAY 6 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
May 5, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
· Loads on wheels declined 7% yesterday with system loads on wheels falling below the 10,000 car threshold. System loads on wheels have now fallen 12% in the last 48 hours.
Yesterday’s decline reflects lower volumes for both CN and CP although more significantly for CP.
Cars Not Moving
· Idle car counts declined for the third straight day yesterday falling below 2,100 cars on a system basis.
· Yesterday’s decline reflects primarily continued improvement for CN with CP counts declining only slightly.
· West coast unloads (1,097) declined yesterday reflecting lower unloads at both west coast ports.
· Thunder Bay unloads improved yesterday falling just short of the 300 car threshold.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.