Daily Grain Network Status – June 1, 2021 JUN 2 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
June 1, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• System loads on wheels declined for the third straight day yesterday having now declined from 7,900 cars on line to less than 6,300 in the last 72 hours.
• Yesterday’s decline reflects a reduction in volumes for CP while CN changed little from the prior day.
Cars Not Moving
• Daily system counts of idle cars held steady again yesterday increasing marginally but remaining below the 1,200 car threshold.
• As has been the case for several weeks now, day to day changes for both railways, whether up or down tend to be minor in nature – the case again yesterday.
• West coast unloads (643) fell back after a strong day the prior day with once again lower unloads at Vancouver and no unloads at Prince Rupert.
• Thunder Bay reported another strong day of unloads (372) and are now slightly outpacing last week averaging 309 cars per day this week.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.