Daily Grain Network Status – August 24, 2021 AUG 25 2021 | Producers | Blog Post
(Regular updates will be available on the Alberta Pulse Growers website.)
Pulse Canada and the CSCA are partners of the Ag Transport Coalition (ATC)*, which tracks performance of the Canadian railway network for the movement of grain.
A new grain network status report has been created to provide stakeholders with comprehensive insight on the performance of the Canadian rail system for the 2020-2021 grain year. The report provides information and data on the status of the rail network as of midnight the previous day.
The railway performance data reported in these reports reflect the performance of rail shipments specifically for grain shippers participating in the Ag Transport Coalition’s railway performance measurement program – estimated to encompass approximately 90-95% of western Canadian originated grain shipments by rail.
August 24, 2021: Report Synopsis
Loads on Wheels
• System loads on wheels increased slightly yesterday returning above 5,000 cars on line for the second time in the last four days.
• The increase reflects more than 750 new cars coming on line yesterday – 65% of which were on CN where new cars on line outpaced cars exiting the system 3:1.
Cars Not Moving
• Idle car counts declined for the second straight day yesterday falling near 700 cars on a system basis – the lowest one day total seen in more than four months.
• At about 1,000 cars per day on average this week idle car counts continue to trend downward for the seventh straight week.
• West coast unloads (315) declined from the prior day.
• Thunder Bay unloads (170) improved yesterday registering their best day in the last four.
For more information, go to www.agtransportcoalition.com* The Ag Transportation Coalition is comprised of the Canadian Canola Growers Association (CCGA), Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC), Pulse Canada, Manitoba Pulse Growers Association (MPGA), Western Grain Elevator Association (WGEA), Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Inland Terminal Association of Canada (ITAC) and the Canadian Special Crops Association (CSCA). All daily network status reports are available on the Pulse Canada website.